The PowerStrokes Dragon Boat Team was created to give those people in the community a chance to improve their dragon boating skills while gaining experience through community and competitive dragon boat events without having to fully commit themselves to the training regimen of a fully fledged competitive dragon boat racing team.
Designed for intermediate paddlers, we will paddle together for several weeks over the course of the summer, culminating in the Barrie Dragon Boat Festival in Barrie, along with two other festivals.
Skill Level: Intermediate
Practices: Minimum 1x per week, both on-water and dry-land training
Races: At Least 2 races throughout the summer
PowerStrokes will begin weekly practices starting June 7th, occurring every Thursday. Practices are scheduled for 7pm to 8pm. Our last practice will be September 20th for a total of 16 practices.
PowerStrokes will be participating in the following festivals for the 2018 season:
- Barrie Dragon Boat festival – Heritage Park, Barrie – Saturday August 25th
- GWN Challenge – Marilyn Bell Park, Toronto – Saturday September 8th & Sunday September 9th
- Christie Lake – Christie Lake COnservation Area, Dundas – Saturday September 22nd
The 2018 season fees are:
- $25 Dragon Boat Barrie club fee, if not already paid for the season
- $200 team fee which will include coaching, practices, festival fees, and steers person
- Complete our online Membership Application here (opens in new window)
- Add $25 DBB Membership Fee to your Shopping Cart here: (if you haven’t already paid your membership fee)
- Add $200 PowerStrokes Team Fee to your Shopping Cart here:
- Proceed to checkout via the Shopping Cart on the right side of this page (below on a mobile device). Once your purchase has been made, a Dragon Boat Barrie representative will be in contact with you confirming your registration.
What does my team fee include?
- professional coaching ($50 – $100 per team per practice)
- boat rental ($70 – $90 per team per practice)
- use of paddle and life jacket for all practices and races (up to $350 to buy new per paddler)
- festival fees ($750 to $1,750 per team per festival)
What’s not included?
- team jersey (approximately $40, yours to keep)
- transportation and accommodations for out of town races, if necessary
- charitable fundraising requirements for various festivals (anywhere from $0 to $1,250 per team per festival)