PaddleStrong is Dragon Boat Barrie’s most competitive team, traveling to regattas all over the province and training year round. PaddleStrong is a group of paddlers from the Barrie area who are interested in dragon boat racing multiple times per Summer and being challenged by experienced coaches. PaddleStrong is a cohesive team of 20+ paddlers who value fitness in and out of the boat.
PaddleStrong was formed in 2009 in support of our dear coach and friend Bruce Saunders, who sadly passed away due to cancer in 2008. We paddle in his honour! Paddles Up!
Skill Level: Advanced
Practices: One day per week, for one hour on Thursday evenings in the summer
Races: 2 regattas throughout the summer
PaddleStrong will begin once weekly practices starting May 16th, occurring every Thursday. Practices are scheduled for 7:30 – 9:00 pm. Our last practice will be August 22nd for a total of 15 practices.
Scott has offered to train the team in Pickering at the indoor facility prior to getting on the water. This would be an opportunity for the team to get a jumpstart on the season. This would likely happen on a Sunday.
The team also plans on a date in Late July (date to be determined ASAP) to have a training camp with Scott which would allow for video review right after practice and other technical training components. These training dates are built into our budget.
PaddleStrong will be attending the following festivals for the 2019 season:
- Barrie – Saturday August 24
- Other festivals TBD
Scott Murray of Alkame Dragon Boat Services.
The 2019 season fees are: $200 Team Fee + $25 DBB fee = $225. Fees are due May 15th.
How to Register:
- Complete our online Membership Application here (opens in new window)
- Add $25 DBB Membership Fee to your Shopping Cart here:
- Add $200 PaddleStrong Team Fee to your Shopping Cart here:
- Proceed to checkout via the Shopping Cart on the right side of this page (below on a mobile device). Once your purchase has been made, a Dragon Boat Barrie representative will be in contact with you confirming your registration.
What does my team fee include?
- professional coaching ($50 – $100 per team per practice)
- boat rental ($70 – $90 per team per practice)
- use of paddle and life jacket for all practices and races (up to $350 to buy new per paddler)
- festival fees ($750 to $1,750 per team per festival)
What’s not included?
- team jersey (approximately $50, yours to keep)
- transportation and accommodations for out of town races, if necessary
- charitable fundraising requirements for various festivals (anywhere from $0 to $1,250 per team per festival)